The City of Edinburgh Council have now published the nomination papers for this years Leith Links Community Council elections.
Individuals seeking election to a community council must be nominated by a proposer and seconder, both of whom must be on the electoral register for the community council area. Each elector may only propose one nominee and second one nominee. Nominations require to be submitted with the candidate’s consent. Self-nomination is not permitted.
The nomination form must be completed and a scan returned by email to Gordon.Munro@edinburgh.gov.uk. Alternatively a hard copy can be returned to Cllr Gordon Munro, City Chambers, High Street, EDINBURGH, EH1 1YJ by 4pm Monday 30 September 2019.
The timetable for the election process for elected members is as follows:
- Monday 9 September – publication of Notice of Election (start of nomination period)
- Monday 30 September 4pm – deadline for nominations (forms to Returning Officer)
- Monday 30 September 4pm – deadline for withdrawal of nominations
- Thursday 10 October – publication of Notice of Poll (if a poll is required)
- Thursday 31 October – polling day (if a poll is required)
Nominated members (local interest groups)
Registration forms for local interest groups should be returned to the Council’s Elections Team who will ensure that qualifying organisations are appropriately registered by the close of nominations (30 September 2019). The Elections Team will inform the Returning Officer of the number of valid application forms received. Where the number of nominations does not exceed the maximum number of nominated members those nominees will be declared duly elected.
Should the number of nominees registered exceed the maximum number of nominated members, the Returning Officer will convene a meeting of representatives from all registered local interest groups and the elected members of the community council. Participants at this meeting will vote by ballot to determine which local interest groups will become members.
The timetable for the election of representatives of local interest groups is as follows:
- Monday 9 September – Notice of Election
- Monday 30 September – Close of Registration
Questions or advice
If you have any questions about the election process please contact the Elections Team
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: Community.Councils@edinburgh.gov.uk
- Telephone: 0131 469 3126