B& B accommodation for Homeless People
Last week there was a protest in Leith Links outside the Abbot’s House hostel, against the Council’s use of B&Bs for homeless people, especially for families with young children. This Community Council supports the protesters and stands with the vulnerable people who suffer in this horrible situation, caused initially by Council and government cuts, benefit capping, sanctions and welfare ‘reforms’. This Community Council has questioned the use of such accommodation – in some cases, basically slums – in the area for many years, but the Council continues to pour money into the pockets of a few rich landlords, instead of building new houses or as a minimum in the short term, ensuring that temporary accommodation is at least safe and clean. This has reached crisis proportions as Edinburgh’s population grows, rents soar sky high, and cuts bite.
- City of Edinburgh Council considers future of Leith Walk / Halmyre Street site
- Leith Links Community Council responds to Leith Festival Funfair plan being considered by City of Edinburgh Council
- Community Council election 2019: A message from Jim Scanlon, Chair of Leith Links Community Council
- Leith Conference | 26th & 27th October 2019 from 11am until 4pm
- VULNERABLE MISSING MAN – LEITH, EDINBURGH