What price Local Democracy?
The investigative / fact checking online journal The Ferret recently researched just exactly how much Councils invest in its Community Councils. It seems City of Edinburgh Council invests 7p per head of local population per year, to hear views from local people. The least was Dundee – 1p – and the highest was Shetland – £6.81) Read the full article here.
What does this mean for local democracy?
Community Councils are statutory bodies tasked by local authorities to “ascertain, co-ordinate and express to the local authority for its area…the views of the community it represents”. All Community Councillors are volunteers.
So what does your Community Council do? A fair question. One short answer is (slightly facetious, yes, sorry!) – we do our best….
- Community Council elections 2019 – Local interest groups
- Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in Leith?
- What being a Community Councillor means to me: Michael Traill
- Police Scotland consultation: Local & national priorities & communications
- Community Council elections 2019: Last few days to submit nomination papers