What price Local Democracy?
The investigative / fact checking online journal The Ferret recently researched just exactly how much Councils invest in its Community Councils. It seems City of Edinburgh Council invests 7p per head of local population per year, to hear views from local people. The least was Dundee – 1p – and the highest was Shetland – £6.81) Read the full article here.
What does this mean for local democracy?
Community Councils are statutory bodies tasked by local authorities to “ascertain, co-ordinate and express to the local authority for its area…the views of the community it represents”. All Community Councillors are volunteers.
So what does your Community Council do? A fair question. One short answer is (slightly facetious, yes, sorry!) – we do our best….
- Review of Community Council Scheme
- CCTT – JOINT STATEMENT on TRAMS
- Scheme of Administration for Community Councils, review by City of Edinburgh Council – final phase
- Consultation: Lady Boys Of Bangkok propose to use Leith Links in 2019
- ‘Fascist political group plans to infiltrate Community Councils’ says The Ferret